A sensory room can be described as an environment that has been created for the purpose of helping individuals of all ages who suffer from various sensory disabilities. They can also be used to offer a number of additional therapeutic benefits such as relaxation, depending on the specific sensory products used in the room.
A lot of the time these rooms are created with a theme in mind which means you can design a room to target the unique requirements of those who will be using it. Another alternative is to implement various themes and products into the room at different times to cater specifically to those in it and their individual needs.
Here are the main benefits of using a sensory room:
- Each individual piece of equipment used in these rooms is designed to stimulate the users’ senses through the use of various scents, sounds, textures and colours.
- Calming rooms introduce a quiet, relaxing environment to their users where they can feel safe and at ease. Sensory products such as bubble tubes lend further to this by creating a peaceful effect with their soothing vibrations and floating bubbles.
- All the products promote interaction in their own unique way to encourage users to watch, touch, smell and listen, which in turn teaches them other skills such as colour and shape recognition as well as cause and effect.
- If an individual suffers from a visual impairment, a dark room combined with the use of bright fluorescent colours will help to stimulate their vision. If on the other hand an individual has an impediment with their hearing, equipment that vibrates or makes different sounds will be more effective.
- Sensory products help give users the confidence to move around safely and easily interact with their surroundings whilst boosting their self-esteem and allowing them to feel more in control of their surroundings.
Many medical and learning establishments have incorporated sensory rooms as a form of treatment to aid patients and help teach them various sensory skills as it has proved to be a successful and effective mechanism amongst people of all ages and abilities.