Our Teachers are:
Ms Mitra (1M)
Ms Oakes (1O)
Our Teaching Assistants are:
Happy New Year to all of our Year 1 children and parents! The children have come back enthusiastic and ready to learn.
Our topic this half term is called ‘Being a Sacramental People.’ After half term, our topic will be ‘From Lent to Easter’.
Our focus this half term is poetry. We will be reading ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’ as well as reading a variety of poetry genres. This is part of our Power of Reading. The children will be learning and reciting poems off by heart. We will also be reading, ‘One Day on Our Blue Planet’ and ‘The Emperor’s Egg’. We will also be This will help the children to learn the difference between fiction and non-fiction texts.
In Maths, we will be continuing with the number system including place value. The children will also be learning about multiplication and division using the language ‘grouping’ and ‘sharing’. Later on in the term, they will learn about measuring which will involve length and height, volume and capacity.
We will be looking at ‘mapping’ focusing on the UK. The children will learn new skills such as, making a key and language associated with direction.
Our first Science topic this term is, ‘Plants’ where the children will learn the parts of a plant and the plant lifecycle. We will continue to explore the months and seasons of the year in our topic, ‘Seasonal Change’ all about the weather, this will continue throughout Year 1 as we observe how it changes across the four seasons.
Each week we have an Achievement Assembly and a Gospel Assembly for the children. KS1 class assemblies will commence this term. Please check the website for details.
At St Michael and St Martin’s School we have extremely high standards for behaviour that we expect the children to demonstrate at all times, both in class and whilst playing in the playground.
The children in Year 1 are all aware of our school and class rules. On the first day in Year 1, we all contributed in writing our ‘Golden Rules’. We know that by following the rules our school will be a happy place to learn.
Working together with parents and guardians plays a large part in ensuring there are good relationships and standards of behaviour in school.
- Book bags are sent home with scheme books every Tuesday and Friday. On the other days the children will take home a free choice book. Please ensure that your child’s book bag is in school each day and that their reading records are signed for scheme Books each week. Please do not sign for free choice books.
- Homework is set every Friday and must be completed and returned the following Thursday. We really appreciate your support when helping children with their homework. The task set is related to what we have covered in class that week and provides a chance for them to consolidate their learning.
- Spellings are set on Thursday and tested on the following Thursday.
- PE takes place every Monday morning. Please ensure that your child is wearing their full PE kit to school on this day. All items of uniform must also be named.
- Please ensure that your child brings in a named bottle of water every day.