The teachers in Year 3 are :
Miss Marston (3M)
Ms Loftus and Miss Dawber (3LG)
Also working in Year 3 is Mrs Ackary
Welcome to the Year 3 class page
We have been settling in well to the new term! Here are our topics for the spring term:
Religious Education - Being a Sacramental People:
We will be learning about the sacraments and how they strengthen our faith.
Our first text is Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaimen, which is an exciting fantasy graphic novel. The next text is ‘The Secrets of Vesuvius, by Caroline Lawrence, a thrilling adventure based on a volcanic eruption.
We will be learning about the eruption and consequences of this event. This will lead to a newspaper report.
In our reading lessons we will be focussing on inferences and prediction
Within our English lessons we will exploring descriptive writing, persuasive letters, research our non-fiction writing, story mapping narratives.
SPaG: Spelling: Working through the spelling programme with a weekly test on Thursdays.
Number – Multiplication and division using formal methods of these. The expanded method, grid method and bus stop method.
Fractions- identifying equivalent fractions, decimals and comparing fractions of amounts E.g. 3/8thof 16
Solve mathematical word problems based around money using addition and subtraction. Understanding geometrical shapes and patterns.
Identifying perpendicular and horizontal lines.
Statistics bar charts, pictograms, tables. Interpreting and presenting data.
Measurement – comparing and converting units of measure such as metres, centimetres and millimetres; litres and millilitres; comparing periods of time.
We will be looking at Who the Romans were and how they fit on the timeline of history, i.e. after the Celts and before the Angles and Saxons.
This will include:
· The Roman invasion of Britain.
· Hadrian’s Wall.
· Gods and Goddesses.
· Roman Baths.
- The impact Roman life had on Celtic Britain.
Our topic this term is – Light and Shadow
We will be investigating the following:
What is a light source?
- How light is needed to see and the different conditions, we are able to see in.
- Identifying how light travels?
- Transparent, translucent and opaque materials.
- Objects that reflect.
- Experiments with shadow formation.
As is the case throughout the school, we expect and encourage all children to adhere to high standards of behaviour both in class and on the playground.
The children in Year 3 have negotiated a set of class rules together and have all agreed to follow these with the understanding that doing so will create a happy learning environment that will help their learning.
Working together with parents and guardians plays a large part in ensuring there are good relationships and standards of behaviour in school.
- Homework is set every-day and must be completed and returned on time. We really appreciate your support when helping children with homework. The task set is related to what we have covered in class that week and provides a chance for them to consolidate their learning.
- Spellings are set and tested every Thursday.
- PE takes place every Wednesday Afternoon. Please ensure that your child has a full PE kit in school on this day. All items of uniform must also be named.
- Please ensure that your child brings in a named bottle of water every day.