Our Teachers are:
Ms Mitra (1M)
Ms Oakes (1O)
Our Teaching Assistants are:
The children have come back enthusiastic and ready to learn for the Summer Term.
Our topic this half term is ‘From Easter to Pentecost.’ We will be learning about the Ascension of Jesus and the Feast of Pentecost.
Our Power of Reading books this term are ‘Traction Man’, ‘The snail and the Whale’. We will also red ‘Monkey Puzzle’. We will also be looking at animal poems and the children will write chronological reports.
In Maths, we will be learning about multiplication and division using the language ‘grouping’ and ‘sharing’. Later on in the term, they will learn about measuring which will involve money and time. The children will also begin to learn about fractions.
We will be looking at ‘Seasides’ focusing on the environment and the difference between land and sea. The children will continue learn skills such as, making a key and language associated with direction.
Our Science topic this term is, ‘Animals Including Humans’ where the children will learn the parts of the body and different animal lifecycles. We will continue to explore the months and seasons of the year in our topic, ‘Seasonal Change’ all about the weather, this will continue throughout Year 1 as we observe how it changes across the four seasons.
Each week we have an Achievement Assembly and a Gospel Assembly for the children. KS1 class assemblies will commence this term. Please check the website for details. All Key Stage One children will be participating in the May Celebrations at St Michael and St Martin Church.
At St Michael and St Martin’s School we have extremely high standards for behaviour that we expect the children to demonstrate at all times, both in class and whilst playing in the playground.
The children in Year 1 are all aware of our school and class rules. On the first day in Year 1, we all contributed in writing our ‘Golden Rules’. We know that by following the rules our school will be a happy place to learn.
Working together with parents and guardians plays a large part in ensuring there are good relationships and standards of behaviour in school.
- Bookbags are sent home with scheme books every Tuesday and Friday. On the other days the children will take home a free choice book. Please ensure that your child’s book bag is in school each day and that their reading records are signed for scheme Books each week. Please do not sign for free choice books.
- Homework is set every Friday and must be completed and returned the following Thursday. We really appreciate your support when helping children with their homework. The task set is related to what we have covered in class that week and provides a chance for them to consolidate their learning.
- Spellings are set on Thursday and tested on the following Thursday.
- PE takes place every Monday morning. Please ensure that your child is wearing their full PE kit to school on this day. All items of uniform must also be named.
- Please ensure that your child brings in a named bottle of water every day.