Our Teachers are:
Ms Mitra (1M)
Ms Oakes (1O)
Our Teaching Assistants are:
Welcome to Year 1's Class Page
Welcome back to school to all of our Year 1 children and parents! The children have made a fantastic start to the new school year and are becoming familiar with their new classrooms, teachers and routines.
We will be celebrating the ‘Year of the Word’ where children will be given the opportunity to ‘Prepare to Hear the Word’, ‘Hear and Encounter the Word’ and ‘Respond to the Word’. Children will explore the many forms of prayer and the reasons we pray. An emphasis will be placed on further developing our spiritual well-being, using Catholic meditation as another form of prayer.
Our topic this half term is called, ‘In the Beginning’. We are focusing on the book of Genesis and the Creation story.
Our children are enjoying the current text in English called ‘Beegu’ which is part of our Power of Reading topic. The children will be writing postcards and letters in role as characters from the story. We will also be reading ‘Lost and Found’ over the next few weeks. The children will be learning about poetry and studying stories from other cultures as part of Black History Week.
In Maths, we began the year by learning about numbers up to and beyond 100, ordering them and understanding about more than and less than, greater/less than and equal to.
We will also be learning about addition and subtraction, remembering the signs we use for our maths sentences and trying to make connections in our work.
Our topic in History is ‘Queen Victoria’ and ‘Old and New Toys’. The children will learn about significant events from the past and look at toys and old artefacts.
Our first Science topic this term is, ‘Everyday Materials’ where the children will learn about what materials there are and what everyday objects are made of. We are beginning to explore the months and seasons of the year in our topic, ‘Seasonal Change’ all about the weather, this will continue throughout Year 1 as we observe how it changes across the four seasons.
Each week we have an Achievement Assembly and a Gospel Assembly for the children. KS1 class assemblies will commence in the Spring Term.
At St Michael and St Martins School we have extremely high standards for behaviour that we expect the children to demonstrate at all times, both in class and whilst playing in the playground.
The children in Year 1 are all aware of our school and class rules. On the first day in Year 1, we all contributed in writing our ‘Golden Rules’. We know that by following the rules our school will be a happy place to learn.
Working together with parents and guardians plays a large part in ensuring there are good relationships and standards of behaviour in school.
- Bookbags are sent home every day with scheme books and are changed every Monday and Thursday. On the other days, the children will take home a free choice book. Please ensure that your child’s book bag is in school each day and that their reading records are signed for scheme Books each week. Please do not sign for free choice books.
- Homework is set every Friday and must be completed and returned the following Thursday. We really appreciate your support when helping children with their homework. The task set, is related to what we have covered in class that week and provides a chance for them to consolidate their learning.
- Spellings are set on Thursday and tested on the following Thursday.
- PE takes place every Monday morning. Please ensure that your child comes to school in full PE kit in school on this day. All items of uniform must also be named.
- Please ensure that your child brings in a named bottle of water every day.
Thank you for your continuing support.