Welcome to the Year 2 class page!
The teachers in Year 2 are:
Miss Esteban (2E)
Miss Montenero (2M)
Also working in Year 2 are Mrs Payne and Mrs Jacob
It has been a wonderful start to the term so far. The children have settled well into their Year 2 routines and below, you will find out more about the exciting topics we will be covering this term.
Our topic this half term is called In the Beginning. We are looking at the story of Creation from the book of Genesis. After half term, we will start our new unit called From Advent to Christmas, according to Luke’s Gospel.
We started this term with a story called The Great Explorer to tie in with our topic of Artic and Antarctic and continued looking at stories with familiar settings through a book called Claude in the City. This story will be the basis for the children to write their own imaginative stories about an innovated character based on Claude. The children have enjoyed finding out about and using different adjectives to enhance their writing. During Big Writing lessons, children will get a chance to write their own stories, postcards and instructions.
In Maths, we have really focused on place value so the children have a solid understanding of the value of numbers. We will be moving on to using the four operations and applying these when solving simple word problems. Later in the term, we will look at real life problems involving money, as well as having fun with some practical activities involving shape and space.
This term in Science the topic we will be focussing on is Animals Including humans – Healthy Living. Children will be learning about living a healthy lifestyle, exploring the different ways to keep our bodies healthy through food and physical activities as well as the characteristics shared by all living things.
Our topics this term is Towers and Turrets, looking at the lives and achievements of several historical figures, and what life would have been like in a castle. Through this topic the children will learn skills in researching and understanding of the development of armour, food and technology.
Look out for Year 2’s Assemblies which the children are thoroughly looking forward to performing at the start of the Spring term.
As is the case throughout the school, we expect and encourage all children to adhere to the high standards of behaviour both in class and on the playground.
The children in Year 2 have worked together to create a set of Golden Rules and have all agreed to follow these rules with the understanding that doing so will create a happy learning environment that will help their learning.
Working together with parents and guardians plays a big part in establishing good relationships and standards of behaviour.
- Book bags will go home every Tuesday (due back Thursday) and every Friday (due back Monday).
- Homework will be set on Friday with varying due dates to allow children enough time to complete the work set (Timetable will be handed out). We really appreciate your support when helping children with homework. The task set is related to what we have covered in class that week and provides a chance for them to consolidate their learning.
- Spellings are set and tested every Friday – definition books will be handed out Friday alongside spellings and is due back the following Thursday.
- PE takes place every Thursday afternoon. Please ensure that your child has a full PE kit in school on this day. All items of uniform must also be named.
- Please ensure that your child brings in a named bottle of water every day.